Friday, February 3, 2023
Wednesday, February 1, 2023
Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Popping in briefly from my blurred state to give you a reminder about that audiobook giveaway I mentioned a while back.
I still have a handful of free codes to distribute - 25 for Songbird and 25 for A Wider World.
PLEASE let me know if you want one or both. (The only thing I ask in return is that if you enjoy listening to the book, to please leave a review on Spotify. It's a new platform, it's audience-building all over again).
You can leave a comment here or email me at karen @ karenheenan . com
Saturday, January 21, 2023
Yesterday I went to their retina specialist, who looked over my eye, said that considering my cornea looks like someone played basketball with it, it was healing well and we just need to wait a MONTH or so for the inflammation to die down. Then he'll perform the workaround surgery of inserting the lens from behind and stitching it into place. I don't really want to think too much about that, because the tiny sutures that the cataract doctor put in are itching like I have an eye full of sand. But I have to do it, because right now, without my lens and cataract, everything is a blur on the right - but a brightly colored blur. I'm seeing blues I haven't seen in several years.
At the conclusion of the follow-up exam with the cataract doctor, I said to her that she shouldn't expect me to deal with my left eye anytime soon, my motivation is now somewhat lacking. She totally understood, and said that the cataract on that one is extremely minimal, so I can take time; I know now what it looks like when it gets worse, so I'll make the move when I have to; and she also would recommend waiting 6 months to hear simply for my right eye to finish healing before I do anything to the other one.
So that means my regular eye doctor will have to get bullied into giving me a new prescription for a fixed eye and an unfixed eye, and if he doesn't like it, he can lump it.
Wednesday, January 18, 2023
Wednesday, January 11, 2023
|This is not quite how I see, but my photo|
editing software doesn't blur any worse than this.
Wednesday, January 4, 2023
- Published Lady, in Waiting in February.
- Re-released Songbird's audiobook, finished edits for A Wider World's audiobook and learned to master audio so I could get that one up as well.
- Finished writing and editing Coming Apart.
- Formatted and released omnibus edition of the first Tudor Court trilogy in August.
- Wrote a prequel novella for Coming Apart which was released as a newsletter exclusive. Haven't read it? Sign up here.
- Released Coming Apart in October.
- Wrote a novella (Princess of Spain) which was included in the Alternate Endings anthology, released in November.
- Six podcast guest appearances to talk about Coming Apart and historical fiction / writing generally.
- Two in-person visits with writer friends, which were hugely inspiring for all concerned.
- Participated in a Zoom writing group (monthly until we fell off, but still keeping up by email) and a weekly writing salon on Twitter. Talking to other writers feeds the best, y'all.
- Writing the first draft of Coming Closer, which is the second book in the Ava & Claire series. It's done, it's resting, and I'll start in on edits in a week or so. Release is scheduled for April 18, 2023, so I'd better get on it...