Wow. This may join my black leather jacket as one of my favorite projects ever. I wore it for Easter yesterday and I have to admit I enjoyed every compliment it got.
There are some projects you can do on autopilot, and then there are some that keep your brain interested and engaged all the way, and this was one of them. I couldn't wait to get started on it every time I went into the workroom.
I think that one of the joy of working with BWOF patterns is the amount of detail they put into them. This would have been a perfectly fine jacket without those little extras, but the folded pocket and button tabs on the sleeves really make it for me.
Details are really the things that set RTW apart, and if you're willing to tackle them, BWOF really gives you the details to make a garment into something special.
This project took a variety of interfacings: I used regular fusible woven for the facings, and then, along the edge of the facings, as well as the sleeve and jacket hems, I used strips of fusible hair canvas for a nice crisp edge. For the button tabs and the belt, since they would get more handling, I used coutil left over from my orange bag project. Since it's meant to be used for corsets, it's strong, flexible and not likely to stretch.
Not a lot of changes to this pattern: as I mentioned before, I did add a lining, because (a) I think that outerwear pretty much should be lined, (b) I don't have the patience or precision for the Hong Kong finish this would have deserved, and most importantly, (c) the inside of this fabric against my skin would have been like wearing a sauna suit.
I also changed the sleeve length. The pattern called for full length sleeves, which could then be folded and buttoned up with the tab. I liked the fold and tab, but not the bracelet length, so I added about 2" to the sleeves so that I could fold them up and still have them at full length. Isn't that why we make this stuff ourselves?
I finished this project on Friday evening and got to wear it out to dinner that night in the drizzle, and it's actully waterproof. No reason it shouldn't be; it's vinyl, after all, but having it turn out to really be a rain jacke instead of just looking like one is a plus.
Funny thing: after I finished this I thought I'd need a bit of a break before tackling the next big project. I was going to knock out a couple more quick tshirts just to round out the summer wardrobe, but no, apparently I didn't need a break after all.
Saturday it rained all day, and not the kind of rain my jacket and I wanted to be out in. I went into the workroom just to tidy up, and maybe finish cutting out the fabric for the Ottobre jeans that were up next. Six hours later, I looked up because Mario was in the doorway asking if I was coming out in time for dinner. Don't you love it when it just takes over? Pictures of the jeans (a very wearable muslin in a plaid rayon/lycra woven) coming next time.
What a wonderful looking jacket.
You did a great job with all the details :)
!!! nice jacket Karen, you did a great job, really.
i'm speechless. It's awesome!
I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing that other vinyl remnant.
Fab, fab, fab!
Great job, it is really sharp.
Fabulous! The color is amazing. Enjoy wearing this wonderful thing.
Great looking jacket! Nice job. Thanks for sharing.
"But it was only $2 per yard, and it was a really interesting raspberry/black iridescent raincoat fabric." (from an earlier post)
Wow! You've done done yourself proud!
Your trench is absolutely gorgeous!
Wow! I love this jacket - everything about it, the fabric, the pattern, all the beautiful stitching! You make me want to sew this pattern.
absolutely gorgeous jacket
I love your jacket!!!
I love this, Karen! YOU should be doing the Burda photo shoot as their model for this jacket.
Karen, I LOVE it!!! It looks wonderful!
Post a Comment