The other day, a friend saw the dress I made for my co-worker's imminent baby, and said, "It's a shame you're so busy with craft show sewing and the wedding; I'd love for you to make a dress for my friend's daughter who's turning one later this month."
I emailed her today to ask if she'd gotten her gift yet, and when she said no, I told her I'd meet her after work with a surprise.
This is yet another variation on the Burda baby pinafore, 1 year size this time, with added collar and pocket.
The dress began life as a skirt. I'm not even sure what to call the style, but I regret to say I wore it, and often. It looks much better as a baby dress. The uneven ruffle always bothered me (I didn't make it or I would have probably picked it off), but it looks interesting on something that small.
The collar is made from the original pocket flaps from the skirt, and the pocket was part of the pocket. I used the existing hemline and just tweaked the shape of the skirt pieces to accommodate it. I didnt' mind taking apart the skirt but I didn't see the point in picking off the rayon seam binding used as trim (no way that would have survived) and trying to reinvent the wheel when it was a perfectly good wheel to begin with.
Best of all, my friend loved it. She thinks it looks like something a little girl would have worn in a British children's book from the 1930s, and I take that as a compliment.