Saturday, February 11, 2012
Victory over the dress
But oh, how it tried.
Not only did I have the previously-recounted neckline issues, but I had hem issues as well. Let me just say, for anyone else who bought this fabric at Metro during the last Elizabeth-inspired NY shopping trip, it is hell, pure and simple. It's pretty, it's drapy, and it's HELL. It sticks to everything, the rough spots on my hands, my fingernails, it hangs up on pins - yet pins fall out of it - and it has a distinctly unlovely tendency to get holes if you pick a stitch out of it.
And now, about that neckline. I fixed it the other night, and I had an idea about the trim. I just thought it might be a weird idea. So on Thursday I looked for trim. I had nothing in stash. I called Karlin's, my local store, and asked what they had in the way of black trim. Grosgrain ribbon, satin ribbon and some upholstery braid, that was it. Today, we went to Jomar, where I scored the lace I need for my first Titanic-era project (more about that soon), but no interesting black trim there, either.
I pinned it around the neck, straight, covering the stitches, and it looked skimpy. I decided to loop it on unevenly, to see what it looked like, thinking I could weave in two strands of wire. I liked the unevenness; I didn't like the double strand. One strand of wire it was, sewn by hand onto the dress while it was on the form. Standing.
This dress has been more trouble than any knit dress I've made in years. But I like it.
The tactful word he finally came up with was "avante garde." For lack of anything better/more complimentary, I'll take it.
No proper pattern review yet; when I can face writing one, I'll add a link to it.