A while back I had an idea for a skirt. I'm not quite sure where it came from, but it was a gray skirt, and the bottom of the skirt was pieced fabrics in grays, silver and black, possibly lightly quilted. The piecing was random, square, rectangular, wide, tall. I had a vague idea that it might look like a skyline, so in my head I was calling it the Cityscape Skirt.
Fast forward to Tuesday night. Mario has a class
that night and I spend the 3 hours of his absence sewing like a demon. I made a
pair of my favorite TNT pants on Tuesday from some lovely charcoal gray RPL that
I got from Gorgeous Fabrics a while back. Before I started cutting, I realized
that if I played my cards right and cut very, very carefully, I would have
enough left over to make a pencil skirt. I already knew I had the other fabrics
in either stash or remnants.
The pants were finished and I was hemming them by the
time he got home. I'd also cut out the pencil skirt and had a small chunk of
fabric left over besides. Amazing what careful cutting can do.
The next night, I cut out a bunch of pieces of black,
light gray, silver (a metallic coated cotton) and self fabric and played with
layout. I could see my original idea in my head, but I couldn't make it come
together on the table. Everything looked forced and weird. Eventually I cut a
long strip of the silver coated cotton and the self fabric, sewed them together
and cut them in 2" sections. Those were sewn together in an alternating
checkerboard, and I laid it across the bottom of the skirt to see how it
Hmm. I couldn't quite tell from there, so I decided
just to go with it. I sewed the patchwork band on the skirt from the underside
at the top, then folded and pressed the hem of the skirt and the band. I had
some quilt batting on hand that I didn't use for the 1912 jacket, so I cut a
strip of that and put under the band. I hand-sewed the hem, then topstitched
the top of the band. It looked raised, but not puffy. I was encouraged. I did
a line of stitching down the center of the strip, then started playing around
with it. I sewed X's through each of the gray squares, and then did spirals in
the silver squares, pulling the thread tightly to add texture to the silver.
From a distance it looks somewhat like leather.
I'm still not sure where I'm going here, but it's an
interesting journey all the same.