So, after outing myself last week as the uber-slob that I (frequently) am, I realized that something had to be done about it.
That something involved a trip to Ikea with Mario. Despite our trepidation, we came out of the store with exactly what we went in to buy (okay, plus a tiny little LED light for my desk, but that doesn't count, right?).
To the left here is my new Ikea Expedit shelving unit, complete with 5 bins to store all small stuff that used to be stuffed in totally-too-shallow drawers. Interfacing (1 bin), lining (2 bins), leather (1 bin) and trim (1 bin - plus a bin under the table).
Even though I feel like I should have been able to organize the room without spending money, this was the easiest option - even putting it together only took an hour and a glass of wine.
And another one after to congratulate myself.
I'm not done yet, obviously. The corner cabinet is still hosting way more rubble than necessary.
I wish I didn't feel the need to keep all my antique dolls, much less in plain sight, but I restored and costumed most of them and I like having the girls around. They creep some people out, though, especially the one standing on the floor with no eyes. Even I think she's creepy, but I haven't found a new set of antique eyeballs for her yet.
I also like having the TV and DVD player where I can really see it, both standing at the cutting table or sitting at the machine. Before the TV was much smaller and sat straight ahead of my machine. When we cleared out my aunt's apartment, I liberated her TV (which I had bought and not been paid back for anyway) and it's been sitting in the hallway for months waiting for me to get it upstairs.
So now I can keep myself occupied while keeping myself occupied. Why do only one thing at a time?
The shelving on the radiator isn't completed yet either. I did lose the second unit that was on top there, along with a small bookcase that used to be behind my sewing chair. Now I can push my chair all the way back without getting hung up on a shelf full of Burda magazines. They moved to the small bookshelf, and the cats lost the bed that used to live on the bottom shelf. They have 2 other nesting spots in the room anyway, and one of them only sleeps behind the radiator to begin with.
Today I decided to make something for myself, just to prove that I still can. This is BWOF 2/09 #109, the boatneck tee. I made this before, when the pattern came out, but didn't like the way the neckline turned out. I think Burda wanted you to simply fold it under and stitch. I don't remember, and I didn't bother to look at the instructions this time.
I've always loved black and white striped tees - that whole French sailor vibe. I've never had one, mainly because I think I have a bit too much boobage to actually successfully wear one.
I did the neckband with vertical stripes just because.
And I have to admit I'm feeling almost smug - okay, not almost, just smug - about the stripe matching down the sides. Stripe matching is a much bigger pain with knits.
Most of today has been things not working properly: I tried to vacuum, and the Dyson will not suck in the upright position. So I vacuumed three rooms using the handheld attachment. The Singer is making grumbly noises, and I realize it's been a while since she's had a proper tuneup. And just to finish things off, I went downstairs to take laundry out of the dryer and the handle to the dryer door came off in my hand. At least that stuck right back on.
Dyson and Singer may be dismantled on the carpet sometime soon. Hopefully the right parts will go back into each machine.