Wednesday, July 26, 2017
Once I decided how I wanted it to look, it took far less time than I had expected.
It's a 9 block quilt, I'd call it "log cabin inspired" more than anything, since there's a central motif and the pieces around it are more or less mirroring the idea of a log cabin quilt.
But it's not exactly one, which is about what I'd expect from me.
Because not all the blocks were the same size, and because I wanted to use some of the other pieces of clothing that didn't make it into the blocks, I did strips in between each block and around the edges. It used up a bit more fabric and added a few more prints to the mix.
When I sent her a progress picture and told her I was going to back it in a neutral fabric I had on hand, she was fine with that. We also decided on a light gray binding, which was from a gray t-shirt I had in my stash for that purpose.
All the years that I thought I didn't need a serger. I could kick myself, except then I'd have to take my foot off the pedal of my serger. Because every piece of fabric in this is a knit, this entire quilt was assembled with my serger.
I think my favorite bit is the central LOVE panel. It was two sides of a jacket with a separating zipper. I reinforced it before cutting, removed enough of the zipper top and bottom to be able to run it through the machine without hurting anything, and kept it as is. I could have probably picked out the zipper and sewn the fabric together, but to me that would have changed the point of the piece -- it's meant to be Katy's outgrown baby clothes, and losing the zipper would, to me, lose some of that.