Saturday, April 7, 2012
A good and patient man
Here's the review, but I think the pictures really tell the story.
Pattern Description: Loose-fitting shirt has collar, long sleeves with cuffs, tie ends and narrow hem. B: neck and sleeve ruffles. C: sleeve ruffles. D: front flounce and sleeve ruffles. I made View B, without the ties.
Pattern Sizing: S-M-L in this envelope, XL-XX-XXL in the other. I made a medium. Very handythat almost all the actors are in Mario's general size range. I think that's why she's been giving me the men's costumes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Very clear and easy. "Easy and great for beginners" is definitely the rating for this pattern. It looks much more complicated than it is.
I really liked the collar band on the shirt, which snugs up close against his neck and holds the ruffles well. The costumer said not to bother with interfacing, but I couldn't . . . I just didn't use the good stuff. Still, this seemed to work with just cheap interfacing. I'll probably be seeing this in performances for the next few years. Certain costume pieces seem to live forever.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None other than leaving off the ties, which aren't conducive to quick costume changes. The costumer said she was probably going to use a hook and eye at the throat, and I left it up to her whether she wanted a button at the cuff, velcro or a hook.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I have no need to sew it again, but I'd recommend it. It's well drafted, clearly explained and went together very quickly.
Conclusion: I think this time I owe him more than dinner. We may have ventured into the realm of "very special jacket that I have been promising and procrastinating about making since before we were dating." Yikes.
Labels: menswear, theater sewing
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Ah, "the play's the thing..." Bravo to both of you for a god performance.
Oh man, all that work on satin polyester. I would have rebelled. It is fancy!
Truly patient! My hubby would never have agreed to the pics! :-)
Just a heads up I'm featuring your blog in a new blog feature Poppet's Pick Blogs that will post in a couple of weeks. Enjoy!
I made myself protective sleeves for my fingers, out of scraps of leather from a skirt. (Yes, finger condoms)
Making bias tape affords lots of steam scalding opportunities, and I got tired of it.
Cut two pieces, vaguely dart shaped, rounded at the finger tip. Sew seams on the outside.
Make sure they are small enough to stay stuck onto your fingers; they stretch a bit.
Not too awkward. Beats the heck out of burned digits. Not perfect, but cheap, fast and easy if you've cut up something leather lately.
Post a Comment