Thursday, December 29, 2016
My recycled sweater owls were a big seller last year, and every time I've used a sweater to make a larger project I've thrown the scraps into a bag. Post-Christmas I finally dug into that full-sized trash bag and cut up all those scraps into various owl parts. Well, not that many parts -- fronts and backs and two wings. The eyes, beak and feet are all made from felt, because (a) my sanity and (b) I ran out of the one good yellow sweater that I ever found.
There are still more wings left in ziploc bags, but this mess here on my dining room table constitutes all the bodies I cut, with matching (or clashing) wings pinned on. After this was taken, they were sorted into piles by what color thread I will use to attach the wings (there are now about 5 smaller piles) and today I'll start stitching. Once the wings are on, I can do the detail work. I can't sew backs to fronts until my new tags arrive, but that, and stuffing, are the least of the work here.
This is 60 owls. Since I still need to make many more larger sweater animals, I'm hoping to get at least another 40 completed before craft show season starts again in the spring.